Slider

Now What?

Friday, June 25, 2010

 Me: Now can we? 
Ty: Um, nope. Just smile and look at the camera. We're on vacation. 
Me: What about now? 

Most common question asked of married couples:
 
"When do you think you'll have kids?" 

I was really surprised at how many people asked that question soon after Ty popped the question. It typically went like this:  

  • Oh my gosh! Congratulations! How did he do it? 
  • Can I see the ring? 
  • When's the wedding?
  • So when are you guys going to start having kids?

I actually have a friend that started saying "We're not" in response to the question just so people would stop asking - especially her parents. I think this is hilarious.

Since Ty and I started dating, there's always been something for me look forward to with Ty. 

See below:
  • Moving in together.
  • Getting engaged.
  • Planning a wedding.
  • Buying our first house.
  • Getting married.

I think it's only natural for women who know they want kids to start obsessing over it the moment they get hitched. That was me. That wasn't Ty. Good times.

So, needless to say I had to pump the breaks. Obviously, we want kids. We were just a little off on when to start, you know, trying. About 4 months ago, I had an "ah ha" moment (after Ty basically said he wasn't ready. At our Valentine's Day dinner. At a restaurant. Where I cried. And walked out. And didn't talk the whole way home. Mature.) 

The reason I was obsessing about starting our family was because we didn't have any goals as a couple (and because that's all anyone asks you about once you get married). We bought our house, we'd practically furnished it (this mission has since been completed, thank you very much!), we got married. Check, check, check. Next up - babies!! Right? 

No. It was time for some "in the meantime" goals. 

We are going to Hawaii in November. We also started talking about going to Napa Valley this year, maybe Vegas, and then Greece for our 2 year anniversary next Spring/Summer. We also have loads of babies surrounding us / about to surround us so we can get our baby fixes in. (Who am I kidding? This is great news because I can get MY baby fixes in and Ty only has to worry about me obsessing over other people's kids and not our own... yet.)

Babies are obviously in our future. In the meantime, I will enjoy being with my husband. 


By being with I mean annoying him until he gives in and agrees that the next thing on our to-do list is to get pregnant.






1 comment:

  1. Hi Jordan -
    This post totally cracked me up b/c my husband and I have the same revolving conversation about kids, me constantly asking him if we can start trying, and him constantly saying no :). I keep telling him as long as we continue to plan trips and travel he'll be able to hold me off a little longer, but that I'll wear him down evenutally :)

    -AJ

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan