Slider

Dear Summer - And just like that, you're 4.

Saturday, September 16, 2017



Oh Summer, four years old?! I can't even begin to tell you how crazy it is for me to think about how quickly 1,500 + days have gone by and how much you've changed all of us for the better. I've been thinking a lot about what you and I have to look forward to together. The gratitude I feel having a daughter is hard to really put into words. You are absolutely everything I always wanted, and still you bring an element of surprise and delight into each and every day. 

The things that make you pure magic truly are endless. My most favorite things about you right now have a lot to do with your sense of humor, how affectionate you are, your confidence, your EQ, and your coordination. I used to tell Daddy when you were in my belly that you were most definitely going to have some of the traits I always wished I had. Let's just say, your blonde hair, olive skin, and athleticism did not come from me. Your confidence, your wit, and your EQ absolutely did. You are enough like me, and enough opposite that I see us complimenting each other more and more as you grow up. When we went to Hawaii a few weeks ago, I couldn't help but obsess over how perfectly suited you are for island life, and what I wouldn't have given to pull off all of your swim suits like you did.


You are such a little mama. You love playing babies with Wyatt, and school, and really anything that requires laying your babies and stuffies all over our upstairs. Each of them always perfectly prepared with blankies for nap time. You are very intuitive and affectionate. Earlier this summer, I fell at Auntie's house, on the stairs, and it hurt so bad. #embarrassing You knew it hurt me, and you could not have been more adorable. Your sweetness distracted me from the pain and you quickly came to my aide. Earlier this year, we watched your birth slide show, and you got emotional watching it with me - even before I did. I looked down at you when we got to the picture when I was pushing and you looked up at me with these giant tears on the cusp of your little tear ducts. "I hurt you, Mommy?" My heart just about exploded. I was surprised you caught on. Your tears were contagious. For as confident and strong-willed as you are, you're damn sensitive. You are going to do something pretty great with this life of yours. I feel it in my bones. You have a light, honey. And I will make it my job to ensure it never ever dims. I am committed to ensuring it just gets brighter and brighter and brighter. We're all so lucky to be near you. 


As for some other things you're up to these days - you are a swimmer now, you have become a lot more patient with me to do your hair, and you continue to do most things on your own. You get dressed, you wipe your own butt (eh hem, Wyatt?), you make your bed, you get your own water, snacks, and you know how to turn Netflix on. Get it, girl. Sleeping in past 6AM is getting... better, I think. You'll have to ask Daddy because I have finally learned how to sleep through your wake up calls. #onlytook4years #tablesturneddaddy

You are such a great little sister. You and Wyatt are incredibly close. A lot of that has to do with how patient you are, and how eager you are to learn from him. You're a little competitive for his liking, but I love watching you keep him on his toes. We decided to stick you in Pre-K this year, just as Wyatt started Kindergarten. We became super excited about keeping you both close in grades - a year apart means you'll always watch out for each other. 

I have to insert this story really fast. About 15 minutes ago, Wyatt wasn't very nice to you. I sent him to his room and told him he could come back out in 5 minutes as long as he was ready to say sorry to you. He popped down after just about 5 minutes, said he was sorry and walked over to me. I hugged him and told him I was proud of him for doing exactly what I asked him to do. His response? "I came back down and said I was sorry to Summer because I have to go poop." #normalday About 2 minutes ago you asked him to help you make something on your white board. He did, then he encouraged you to try yourself. When you put your work down, Wyatt immediately came to it's defense. "Summer, it's a really good fishy." You root each other on, and it's in these moments, the ones where you think we aren't watching, that we know we're doing something right.


We love watching you learn new things, and continue to find your voice. And build on your confidence. You constantly make us smile, and laugh. Oh, the laughter that's in this house because of you. I think the best quality about you is that you never, ever, ever, take yourself too seriously. You always find it in yourself to laugh and be silly. Nothing beats sharing in something funny with you. It is the absolute best getting the giggles with you. Happy 4th Year my sweet, giant-hearted, strong, smart, inclusive, competitive, feisty girl. Please never stop giving us a run for our money, and inspiring me to be my best so you'll do the same.

Love Always,
Mama

1 comment:

  1. Summer sounds like her name fits her perfectly - pure sunshine! I can’t believe your baby girl is already 4!
    P.S. I’m so glad you are back at it! I’ve always loved to read your blogs. You have a way w/ words & find a perfect way to mix your humor, realness & sweet sentiment all in one. I love it!
    -Maile

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan